Cajun Shrimp Guacamole Bites, the perfect appetizer for your next game day party!
Every year we throw a Super Bowl party, and we have for probably 7 of the 9 years we’ve been married! I look forward to it every year. Not only because it’s the Super Bowl and I love football, or the funny commercials, or the awesome half time shows … it’s all about the food baby.
Wings, Wisconsin Beer Brats, Creamy Queso, Guacamole, the list goes on. My mouth is drooling just thinking of it!
Each Super Bowl party brings on a new challenge for me, a time for me to up my game and make something different. Although, I don’t like to go too different because what’s a Super Bowl party without wings and beer. I usually start with a Super Bowl classic and then make a slight twist to keep things interesting. After all I am a food blogger, so people come to the party with expectations of the food (whether said or unsaid). NO pressure!
This recipe idea has been on my mind for a while, well really since I made the BBQ Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Bites. Which if you haven’t tried yet you need to! The crispy sweet potato bottom makes a great vehicle for all things yummy, especially these Cajun Shrimp Guacamole Bites!
It’s basically a combination of crispy sweet potato fries, shrimp cocktail, and guacamole! UM… yes!
The guacamole in this recipe has a few surprise ingredients that make it taste more like chimichurri sauce met avocado and had a baby. Needless to say, this creamy green goddess of sauces is irresistible. Especially when paired with the sweet Sweet Potatoes and spicy Cajun Shrimp.
My husband has already requested that these babies make an appearance at our Super Bowl party this year.
And you can bet that I will be making a double batch because I know they are gonna go fast! Even Cason was eating these whole!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it is one of those surprise healthy recipes, you know the kind that taste so good you think it’s “bad” for you. Nope, not this one! It’s a gluten free AND paleo recipe, with only 70 calories a serving and the flavors will rock your socks off.
If you’re looking for a easy appetizer recipe that will deliver on flavor and wow your party guests. Then you’ve found it!
I hope you enjoy these Cajun Shrimp Guacamole Bites and try not to eat all the components before assembly like I did! Self control people!
Bon Appetit my friends and happy hump day! PS… that means your almost done with the week! Woot Woot!
- 1 sweet potatoes, sliced in ¼" slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to season
- 1lb. large raw shrimp, peel and deveined
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small avocados
- ½ cup cilantro
- juice of 1 lime (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cover bottom of baking sheet with tin foil. Add 1 tablespoon of olive to tin foil and using a brush, spread the olive oil over the entire pan so it is coated. Place the sweet potato slices on the prepared baking sheet.
- Pour remaining tablespoon of olive oil into a small dish, using a brush, brush the tops of the sweet potato slices with olive oil. Lightly season with salt.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and gently flip the sweet potatoes slices over using a pair of tongs. Place back in oven and bake an additional 5-7 minutes. Remove and let sit.
- To prepare the Guacamole: Add avocado, cilantro, lime juice, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and salt to a food processor or blender. Lightly pulse until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- To prepare the Chipotle Shrimp: In a small bowl, add shrimp, smoked paprika, ground cumin, sea salt, and chipotle chili powder. Toss the shrimp to coat in the seasoning blend.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add olive oil to the pan and then place the shrimp. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Assemble the bites. Top each sweet potato slice with a dollop of guacamole, one shrimp, and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!