Zucchini Chocolate Chip Brownies that are oil, butter, and egg free AND naturally sweetened! These brownies are extra chocolatey, loaded with zucchini, slightly sweet, and perfectly guilt free – you’re gonna love them!
Growing up my mom use to make this stuff called friendship bread. It was bread that she use to make for all her friends (hence us calling it friendship bread 🙂 )- it was basically Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips in it. But it was absolutely delicious!
…. and that was the beginning of my love affair with chocolate and zucchini.
Ok. If I’m being honest I’ve had a love affair with Chocolate for a while. So anything that gets added to it is “A” okay in my book .. and if it’s a vegetable even better!
Who knew veggies and chocolate would go so well together!
So when did these zucchini brownies come in the mix?
Well, last week my parents were in town looking for a house to buy here in Texas. We were out searching for homes during all the rain and crazy flooding – I think we went into about 40+ homes. Luckily they found one that they loved and have a contract on it now! Woohoo!
Whenever something good would happen …. or my mom had left over zucchini she would make the friendship bread. 🙂
So when they put a contract down on the house I wanted to make something to celebrate.
CHOCOLATE is the way to my dad’s heart! So naturally I had to make something with chocolate in it. Brownies is always a good place to start!
Am I right?
And going back to my mom’s friendship bread, why not add Zucchini to them and make them a “blast from the past” type of brownie.
You guys are going to LOVE these brownies. They are healthy for you but you would never know it based solely on flavor! These brownies use NO oil, NO butter, NO eggs and NO refined sugar! So what makes them sweet?
Bananas, unsweetened applesauce, zucchini, and honey … oh and of course the chocolate chips! These brownies are moist and have more of a cake-like texture to them. I guarantee you’ll love them and never want another brownie again!!
Alright you chocoholics.. here we go. Now… go grab you a glass of milk and chow down on these Zucchini Chocolate Chip Brownies! 🙂
Bon Appetit my friends and Happy MONDAY!Print
- 2 cups of finely grated zucchini
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup of applesauce (unsweetened)
- 3/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch glass baking pan.
- Grate Zucchini. Set aside.
- Mash up bananas in a large bowl and combine with honey and applesauce. Stir together until incorporated.
- Add in vanilla extract and cocoa powder (I used dutch processed because I like it better).
- Then add in baking soda, salt, and grated zucchini. Stir well.
- Lastly add in the semi-sweet chocolate chips and White Whole Wheat Flour. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Spread brownie batter out in greased pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
(adapted from SparkRecipes.com)
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 107 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!