A tangy, naturally sweet, super moist Lemon Poppyseed breakfast bread that is packed with nutrients from chia seeds and whole wheat flour but definitely not lacking on flavor!
When I was pregnant with Cason I used to stop almost every morning at this one cafe. It was hands down my favorite place in the morning.
Freshly brewed coffee smelling up the store, fresh out of the oven baked goods, and this particular store had a mini grocery store attached that had the prettiest produce you’ve ever seen.
Basically this store rocked!!! And then … they closed it.. and I was sooo sad! Still am!
Anywho, when they were open I use to stop and pick up a Lemon Poppyseed Muffin and a cup of Kenyan brewed coffee almost every morning. YUM!
Now that they are closed I had to improvise and make my own Lemon Poppyseed version. And since I’m making it, why not add a few extra healthy nutrients for good measure. 🙂
This recipe is totally a guilt free Lemon Poppyseed breakfast option.
It has minimal sugar, its made with greek yogurt and coconut oil for a nice moist center, a tangy lemon flavor that everyone loves, and then for an extra added nutrient boost there are some chia seeds. Yup, its pretty much your breakfast dream! Your welcome!
Have you tried making anything with chia seeds?
I had a total flop the first time I attempted a recipe … it was a Chocolate Banana Pudding recipe made with chia seeds. The chia seeds were suppose to serve as the “gelatin” for the pudding. Definitely did NOT happen that way.. so instead of pudding I ended up with chocolate banana milk… no bueno. Actually kinda disgusting.
Luckily for you AND for me I didn’t give up I chia seeds.
I pushed through my chia seed failure and ended up with this beauty. And believe me.. its a beauty you need to try! Its great for those quick morning when you are running out the door on the way to work or dropping the kids off at school.
P.S. in case you missed it, there are also chia seeds in my No Bake Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites that I posted the other day!
So, after you buy the bag of chia seeds which usually runs about $5.99 a bag… you have two recipes to make. This Whole Wheat Lemon Poppyseed Bread and those Energy Bites. Go get’er done!
Save your favorite recipes to your own personal recipe box! Click the SAVE button in the recipe box below to create your own meal plans! Awesome-ness!Print
- 2 cups of white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup of natural cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1½ tablespoons of poppyseed
- 1 teaspoon of chia seed
- ¾ cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup of vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl mix, white whole wheat flour, natural cane sugar, baking soda, lemon zest, salt, poppyseeds, and chia seeds. Whisk together.
- In a small bowl mix melted coconut oil, vanilla greek yogurt, vanilla extract, fresh lemon juice, and eggs. Whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add batter to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.