Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Burger served “bunless” then topped with a creamy Horseradish Aioli!
Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Burgers served “bunless” then topped with a creamy homemade Horseradish Aioli. This gluten free burger recipe will be on your menu all summer long!
So lately I’ve been diggin eating sandwiches or burgers without the buns. I mean, honestly you don’t miss it that much. Plus the bread really just “fills” you up and stops you from eating the good stuff.
In this case, the juicy burger and mushrooms!
This burger is my take on a Mushroom Swiss burger, but without the swiss because I don’t like swiss.
Ahhh.. gasp! I know right! What’s a Mushroom Swiss burger without the Swiss? Well it’s just a Mushroom Burger. To be honest, if I had to choose, I’d rather put fontina or havarti cheese on this bad boy instead of Swiss. But I chose to leave out the cheese all together and added this amazing horseradish aioli instead!
My husband is obsessed with anything horseradish so I knew he was going to love this sauce.
What I didn’t expect was how much I would love it; especially combined with the sautéed mushrooms and onions.
When I was making this dish I had the burgers out of the grill, the mushrooms and onions cooking, and I was finishing up the sauce. As I was mixing I had this stroke of genius … and this is when things start to get good.
When I cook I try to make sure it is a cohesive dish. So if I use smoked paprika in the main dish, I will make sure that whatever I’m serving it with has that same flavor so everything goes well together.
When I was making the horseradish aioli, I added some stone ground mustard to it and then I thought… ohhhh let’s add a little bit to the mushroom and onion mixture so they all flow together. BEST DECISION EVER! It totally completed the dish and made everything flow perfectly!
Wanna know a secret? Most of the time I don’t feel like I know exactly what I’m doing or going to make. It’s like a fun game I play. I’ll open my spice drawer and start adding whatever sounds good to me. Sometimes it doesn’t turn out, and other times the flavor blows me away!
This is one of those dishes that blew me away. The smells were enchanting as I was making it, but then when I cut into the burger and took the first bite I fell in love. I’ll definitely be making this Mushroom Burger on repeat all summer!
And believe me, you will too once you try it.
It’s the perfect way to ring in grilling season. And if you’re anything like us, you’ll be having a burger at least once a week in the summer! Cuz once October hits those delicious smoke flavored burgers will be long gone, so eat them while you can!
PS just to get you more in the mood … keep your eyes open for next weeks roundup of Mouthwatering Burgers! After gawking at those pictures you’ll be drooling all over your keyboard. Guaranteed!
Bon Appetit friends! Happy Grilling! 🙂
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 burger
- Calories: 423
- Fat: 27 g
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 603 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 31 g
- Cholesterol: 105 mg
- 1.25 lbs. lean ground beef
- salt & pepper to season
- 2 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- ½ tablespoon stone ground mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, cut into 4 thick slices
- 2 cups of greens (I used a baby spinach & kale mixture)
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1½ tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, about 375-400 degrees.
- Form four ⅓ lb. patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan to medium high heat. Add grape seed oil and onions to the pan. Saute for 5-7 minutes, until slightly caramelized. Add in the mushrooms. Saute until brown, approximately 5-7 minutes. Season with salt & pepper. Add in the fresh thyme and mustard. Stir to mix all the ingredients together. Cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, add mayo, horseradish, 1 tablespoon of stone ground mustard, and lemon juice. Stir till smooth and everything is mixed. Set aside.
- Add the burger to the grill. Grill each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers: 1 slice of tomato, ½ cup of greens, burger, 1-2 tablespoons of horseradish aioli, 2-3 tablespoons of mushroom onion mixture.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Delicious Burger Recipes?