Spice Rub Grilled Chicken with a fresh Chimichurri sauce – a healthy, easy, 30 minute meal packed with fresh zesty flavors. This chicken recipe will quickly be a family favorite!
I think I’ve just reached an all new level of exhaustion. I knew moving was exhausting, packing up everything and making sure the house was in “tip top” condition was exhausting … but unpacking… whew! Now that is just a whole new level!
I’m kinda sick of looking at cardboard boxes, bubble wrap, and piles of packing tape!
My personality is a “doer.” I love tasks and completing those tasks. So you can imagine when faced with a house full of boxes I was excited.
My plan was to basically knock out the kitchen, set up my food props area, set up our bedroom, and Cason’s bedroom on Friday. And I did that. My feet were KILLING me … but I did it. Saturday morning came around and we still had quite a few boxes left (actually a whole garage full) plus a list of things to get. So we hit up Target first thing in the morning, which created more boxes… ugh… the boxes!
Ok, another thing about me.
I have a hard time working when the area around me is messy. I’m definitely not a clean freak, BELIEVE ME I have clothes laying on the floor in our bedroom and dirty dishes in the sink. But clutter or random things on the counter, desk, or floor that are “waiting” for their place … just staring at me. That stresses me out, and I have a hard time working. Is that weird?
Is anyone else like that?
I guess what I’m trying to say is, my mind is all over the place as I write this. One from pure exhaustion, and two because my house is still in chaos. So bear with me!
Ok, onto the food. Since today is Monday I’d thought I’d start out with a bang of flavor. After all, we’re gonna need it to get through the rest of this week! And since it IS Cinco De Mayo week I’m gonna do one last ode to Mexican food …. this week. hehe
Something my mom use to grill all the time growing up was chicken, and then she’d slather it with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. When I think of summer, or grilling, that is what comes to mind. The key to grilling chicken legs is starting them on the grill with really high heat, like 400 degrees. Sear it on high heat for 2-3 minutes and then lowering the heat to 275-300 degrees to finish off the cooking process until the chicken’s internal temperature is 175 degrees. Viola. Perfect chicken legs!
So in honor of my mom I’m making Grilled Chicken, but my way! I rubbed the chicken down with one of my favorite spice blends that gives the chicken depth of flavor and then top it with a zesty Chimichurri sauce.
Everything about this dish shouts flavor explosion! Just trust me. Make it! Bon Appetit my friends1Print
Spice Rub Grilled Chicken:
- 2 lbs. chicken legs
- 2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (about 400 degrees).
- In a small bowl add garlic powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir together.
- Sprinkle the spice blend over the chicken legs and rub spice blend all over the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the grill and grill each side for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Turn heat down to medium low heat and cook chicken an additional 20 minutes or until juices run clear and internal temperature of the chicken is 175 degrees.
- In the meantime add garlic clove, fresh cilantro, fresh oregano, lime juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Serve chicken and top with chimichurri sauce!
- Serving Size: 2 legs
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 248 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 116 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!