The Best Hummingbird Cake Recipe with a light Cream Cheese Frosting – this cake is beyond flavorful and moist.
The Best Hummingbird Cake Recipe you’ll ever make, slathered with a light Cream Cheese Frosting. This twist on a classic homemade cake is filled with pineapple, bananas and cinnamon. Light, moist and beyond flavorful – it’s a must make for Easter or Mothers Day!
Hummingbird Cake! Have you had it before? It is hands down one of my favorite cakes!
There’s a restaurant that Mike and I love to go to for brunch Sunday mornings. I absolutely love their gourmet coffee drinks and their Pico de Gallo Eggs Benedict. Even though I’m obsessed with their breakfast menu, I’m even more obsessed with their Hummingbird Cake. I usually end up making Mike buy me a slice so we can take it home and I can indulge later on in the afternoon. I just can’t pass up that amazing cake! I have major self control problems when it comes to this cake! You’ll see why when you try it! It’s like tropical goodness!
What is Hummingbird Cake?
Hummingbird Cake is a pineapple banana infused spice cake with cinnamon and nutmeg. It is extremely moist and has a slight tropical taste. Typically layered with cream cheese frosting or vanilla buttercream. This cake was originated in Jamaica!
What ingredients are in Hummingbird Cake?
Hummingbird Cake contains crushed pineapple, banana, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, eggs, sugar, an oil, salt, a leavening agent and pecans. Because of the fruits used in this cake it is a little dense and very moist!
How to decorate Hummingbird Cake?
Honestly, it’s up to you. I made this a 3 layer cake but decided not to frost the edges to keep the calorie count down a little but also thought it looks beautiful because you could see the layers. Top it with raw pecans pieces and fresh flowers to really make it pop.
How to store Hummingbird Cake?
Because Hummingbird Cake is topped with a Cream Cheese Frosting it needs to be stored in the refrigerator, as well as any other cake that has cream cheese frosting on it. You want to take it out of the refrigerator about 1-2 hours before serving.
Hands down this Hummingbird Cake is my favorite cake dessert, even over chocolate! And that’s saying something because I’m a chocolate addict.
Now, truth be told. This cake while delicious can be a little heavy on the tummy if you know what I’m saying! As a way to lighten it up a bit I used coconut sugar and the fruits as sweeteners. It’s also made in 6″ round cake pan for a much smaller cake = a much smaller slice.
To lighten up the cream cheese frosting, I used a small amount of cream cheese and cut it with plain greek yogurt to thicken it up. For the sweetener I added maple syrup and vanilla because you’ve gotta have that key vanilla note. I also didn’t frost the entire cake. I only put frosting on the tops of each layer and added the pecans to the top instead of to the batter or to each layer.
You will absolutely love the Cream Cheese Frosting on this cake! It’s straight up addicting and gives a nice tart taste that pairs perfectly with the cake! It’s actually my sons favorite part. “More frosting mommy.”
Hummingbird Cake is totally one of my guilty pleasures but no more guilt with this version. I can’t wait to make this again for Easter!
Not only is it gorgeous to look at but seriously delicious, especially with a cup of coffee!
I hope you enjoy! Bon Appetit friends and happy weekend!
The Best Hummingbird Cake Recipe you’ll ever make, slathered with a light Cream Cheese Frosting. This twist on a classic homemade cake is filled with pineapple, bananas and cinnamon – extremely moist and light.
- 2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil, melted
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz. of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons of pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
For the Hummingbird Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour three 6″ round cake pans.
- In a large bowl add flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer add egg, egg yolk, and coconut sugar. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- Add in mashed banana, coconut oil, crushed pineapple, and vanilla extract mix until combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture into wet mixture in two batches. Make sure it is fully combined.
- Separate batter into the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a medium bowl add cream cheese, greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- Using a hand mixture, mix until there are no more clumps and the frosting is smooth.
- Assemble the cake in this order, cake round, cream cheese frosting and repeat until finished. Garnish with pecans. (do not frost the sides)
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 299 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Keywords: hummingbird cake recipe, hummingbird cake, healthy cake recipes, easy cake recipes, easter recipes, mothers day recipes, cream cheese frosting, easter dessert recipes, mothers day dessert recipes, mini cake recipes, moist cake recipes, best hummingbird cake
Want More Dessert Recipes?