An Easter dessert your family is going to love, Healthier Hummingbird Cake. This cake is filled with mashed bananas, crushed pineapple, and topped with a light slightly sweet Cream Cheese Frosting!
So today is a special recipe for me. Not only is it my first time featuring a cake recipe on JHE but it is also one of my very favorite Cakes!
Hummingbird Cake! Have you had it before?
If not, you need to! It has pineapple, banana, and coconut in it and then topped with cream cheese frosting! Holy Moly is it good!
There’s a restaurant that Mike and I love to go to for brunch Sunday mornings. I absolutely love their gourmet coffee drinks and their Pico de Gallo Eggs Benedict.
Even though I’m obsessed with their breakfast, I’m even more obsessed with their Hummingbird Cake. I usually end up making Mike buy me a slice so we can take it home and I can indulge later on in the afternoon. Can’t pass up an amazing cake! You see I have self control problems when it comes to this cake!
Only problem is this cake is giant size, it has four delicious layers and then is topped with sweet creamy cream cheese frosting. Hands down my favorite cake dessert, even over chocolate! And thats saying something!
Todays recipe takes away all those problems and leaves you with a guilt free sweet treat.
This Hummingbird Cake recipe is made skinny by using coconut sugar and apple sauce as sweeteners. It’s also made in 6″ round cake pan for a much smaller cake = a much smaller slice.
For the cream cheese frosting, a small amount of cream cheese, plain greek yogurt to thicken it up, and maple syrup to sweeten it. I also only put frosting on the tops of each layer instead completely covering the entire cake, decreasing the sugar and total calories!
You will love the Cream Cheese Frosting on this! Its addicting!
Hummingbird Cake is totally one of my guilty pleasures but no more guilt with this version. I can’t wait to make this again for Easter!
Not only is it gorgeous to look at but seriously delicious, especially with a cup of coffee!
I hope you enjoy!Print
- 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz. of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 teaspoons of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
For the Hummingbird Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour three 6″ round cake pans.
- In a large bowl add flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer add egg, egg yolk, and coconut sugar. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- Add in mashed banana, coconut oil, crushed pineapple, and vanilla extract mix until combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture into wet mixture in two batches. Make sure it is fully combined.
- Separate batter into the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a medium bowl add cream cheese, greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- Using a hand mixture, mix until there are no more clumps and the frosting is smooth.
- Assemble the cake in this order, cake round, cream cheese frosting, sprinkle chopped pecans and repeat until finished. (do not frost the sides)
Inspired by Desserts for Breakfast
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT#JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!