Grilled White Fish topped with a refreshing Mango Jalapeno Coleslaw that will blow more than your socks off! Incredible flavor, minimal ingredients with less than 20 minutes to prepare!
“Honey, I almost blew the house up!”
Those were the first words that came out of the my mouth when Mike walked into the door the night I was serving this dish.
He just looked at me and said … “yeah I heard.”
Ok, so let me tell you the story. I was turning on the grill like any other night. I went out back, pulled the grill cover off, opened the doors to the where the propane tank was, turned it to let the gas out …. I noticed a strange sound when I turned the gas knob. It concerned me a little bit because it sounded like gas was coming out but it’s done that before and the grill has been fine.
I let the grill sit a bit to be safe and then nervously turned the ignition switch. It clicked once and then it turned over into a flame on the grill like it always does … whew
I heard another WOOSH from under the grill. I opened the door and there was a huge flame coming out of the top of the propane tank. I started freakin out, said some choice words….
Turned the knobs on the grill to off, but there was no way for me to turn the propane off and stop the gas from coming out. The flame was right where the knob to turn the propane off was. At that point I was thinking … crap I’m gonna burn the house down. How do I stop this?
Then I remembered our neighbor was a firefighter AND he was home. I ran outside, ran to their house, pounded on their door and had him ran back over with me.
Luckily, by that time the flame coming out of the propane tank was gone. I’m not sure what happened. He touched the propane tank and it was scalding hot so he hosed it down with water, waited a bit and tested it out again. That time it was fine. But he said we’d better get a new propane tank OR a new grill … and that that one could have blown up. (WHAT?! HOLY CRAP!!!)
So now I’m freaked to turn the grill back on again and you may see fall recipes here on JHE sooner than I had planned!
But before I do I’m gonna leave you with this Grilled White Fish and Mango Jalapeno Coleslaw! Everything about this dish is one last summer hurrah .. because down here school starts next Monday!
This Cod is rubbed down with a light spice blend and grilled till perfectly flaky. But the crowning jewel of this recipe is the Mango Jalapeno Slaw on top. It has the same spices that are on the fish to blend everything together as well as fresh juicy sweet mango, napa cabbage, lime juice, jalapeno, and a surprise ingredient to take this slaw over the top.
You are absolutely going to fall in love with the flavor from this fish! Bon Appetit my friends and Happy Monday!
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 4 oz. filet with slaw
- Calories: 288
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 959 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
- 4 5 oz. cod fillets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 mangos diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds removed)
- ¼ cup diced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- 1 garlic clove
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2½ tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, add salt, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and garlic powder. Toss to combine.
- Rub spice blend on one side of the fish.
- In a medium bowl, add mango, napa cabbage, jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and green onion.
- In a small bowl, add garlic clove, lime juice, white balsamic vinegar, canola oil, dijon mustard, smoked paprika, ground cumin, honey, salt, and pepper to taste. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the mango mixture, toss to combine everything and set aside.
- Before putting the fish on the grill, brush with canola oil.
- Place fish on the grill and grill each side for 3-4 minutes, or until fish releases from the grill.
- Serve fish with mango jalapeno slaw.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!