Basil Pesto Pasta with Roasted Vegetables, a simple kid friendly healthy summer pasta that’s done in 30 minutes!
Does anyone else have basil growing like an out of control monster in their garden?
I mean, I know we’ve been getting alot of rain lately here in Texas and that aids with growth, but man! It starting to look like a basil jungle out back! With the trips I’ve been taking lately I have to use up my basil any chance I get.
To me, homemade pesto is still one of the best ways to use up a truck load of fresh basil. Plus, you can’t beat homemade!
So, with all the basil I have in the back, I decided it was time to make some pesto. One of my favorite ways to use Pesto is in a pasta!
But instead of just a basic pesto pasta I added in a few fresh vegetables, roasted them so they got nice and sweet, and tossed them in the pasta along with the pesto!
Serious summer perfection right here! The best thing about this recipe is the veggies could easily be substituted to whatever suits your fancy. (aka.. if you don’t like one of the vegetables in here.. add something else!)
You will notice this recipe calls for mini bell peppers. Have you seen them in the grocery store? I have been kinda obsessed with them lately. They are so cute, (anything mini is :)) great to have on hand as a snack, and cook like rockstars on the grill or in the oven. And I love that they come in multiple colors! Things look way better and much more appealing when the colors are popping off the plate, am I right?
Anyways, they are right over by the regular bell peppers ad come in a little bag with about 15-20 mini peppers. Get em’! You will love them!
Ok, back to this recipe. Its a great simple weeknight meal that you’re family will love. The flavor from the fresh basil and lemon lights up this dish and all the colorful roasted veggies leaves you feeling full and satisfied in the best way possible! Bon Appetite! 🙂
- 1 lb. of whole wheat penne pasta
- Homemade Basil Pesto
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into 1" cubes
- 15-20 mini bell peppers (assorted peppers), tops cut off
- 2 tablespoons of olive
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place zucchini, squash, red onion, and mini bell peppers on baking sheet. Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- Drain pasta when done and reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid.
- In a large bowl add cooked pasta, roasted vegetables, basil pesto, and ½ cup of reserved cooking liquid. Toss to coat.
- Serve. Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
IF YOU MAKE ONE OF THESE RECIPES, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!