Basil Pesto Pasta with Roasted Vegetables, a quick easy diner idea that’s kid friendly, healthy, and done in 30 minutes!
- 1 lb. of whole wheat penne pasta
- Homemade Basil Pesto
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into 1” cubes
- 15–20 mini bell peppers (assorted peppers), tops cut off
- 2 tablespoons of olive
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place zucchini, squash, red onion, and mini bell peppers on baking sheet. Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- Drain pasta when done and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
- In a large bowl add cooked pasta, roasted vegetables, basil pesto, and 1/2 cup of reserved cooking liquid. Toss to coat.
- Serve. Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 536 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 4 mg