These spicy Turkey Stuffed Poblano Peppers are a healthy dinner option that your family will obsess over. Topped with melty cheese and served with a refreshing avocado crema, you’ll savor every bite until there’s nothing left!
For the Stuffed Poblanos
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 6 poblanos, halved and seeds removed
- 12 tablespoons shredded mexican cheese
For the Avocado Crema
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- garnish: fresh cilanto
Make the Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sliced poblanos on a baking sheet, cut side up. Roast for 12-15 minutes.
- Bring a medium skillet to medium high heat. Add avocado oil and onions. Saute the onions until they are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Next add ground turkey and cook until there is no more pink, approximately 5-6 minutes. Add in cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and black pepper. Stir to mix all the spices together.
- Add black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice to the ground turkey mixture. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Stuff each poblano pepper with the turkey mixture, make sure the stuffed side is facing up.
- Bake poblanos for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle each pepper with 1 tablespoons of mexican cheese. Place poblanos back in the oven and bake for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Make the Avocado Crema
- In the meantime, to a small food processor add greek yogurt, avocado, garlic, lime juice, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt. Blend until mixture is combined and smooth.
- Drizzle each poblano with avocado crema.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed poblano
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 594 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 57 mg
Keywords: turkey stuffed peppers, stuffed poblanos, easy stuffed peppers