This easy Crockpot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup goes perfectly with a slice of crunchy bread. It’s a great weeknight dinner idea with only 5 min of prep time.
- 1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breast
- salt & pepper to season
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt to taste
- To a crock pot, first add boneless skinless chicken breasts on the bottom. Season with salt and pepper.
- Then add carrots, celery, onion, garlic cloves, rosemary, thyme, wild rice and chicken broth.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 – 3.5 hours.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot and shred with two forks. Add chicken back to the crock pot.
- Heat a small sauce pan to medium high heat. Add butter to the pan. Let the butter melt and start to bubble, whisking the entire time to ensure it doesn’t burn. Once the mixture is a light brown color pour the milk in and add corn starch. Whisking the entire time until milk is incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Let milk mixture simmer for 2 minutes until thick.
- Pour milk mixture into the crock pot and stir. Next add mushrooms and stir. Let cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg
Keywords: chicken wild rice soup, crockpot chicken soup, slow cooker chicken soup