Chicken Pozole Rojo is a Mexican stew with chicken, hominy, and red chilis. The stew is simple and has incredible authentic flavors. It’s ready in an hour!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 lb. skinless chicken breast (bone-in will give you more flavor)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups homemade red enchilada sauce
- 30 oz. can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt to taste
- Garnish with sliced radish, avocado, green onion, sliced green cabbage and lime wedges.
- Season both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and chicken breast. Sear each side for 3-4 minutes until browned. Once browned remove and let rest on a plate.
- Immediately add onion and garlic to the pot and saute fro 3-4 minutes, until onions are translucent or slightly browned.
- Add chicken back to the pot along with chicken stock, water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is poached and cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred using two forks. Add chicken back to the pot along with hominy, homemade red enchilada sauce, smoked paprika, oregano and salt to taste. Stir to mix everything together, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve. Garnish with sliced radish, avocado, green onion, sliced green cabbage and lime wedges.
Keywords: pozole, pozole soup, mexican chicken soup, mexican stew