Avocado Egg Salad is a healthy alternative to traditional egg salad. The dressing is made with minimal mayonnaise and instead features tangy dijon mustard. It’s bursting with flavor from red onions, fresh herbs, and lemon juice.
- 8 large eggs, hardboiled
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of red onion, finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place eggs in a large pot, be sure they are in a single layer and not piled on top of each other. Cover with cold water. Place on stove over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat off, cover and let sit for 10-15 minutes. In the meantime, fill a large bowl will ice cubes and water.
- Then, using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to the ice bath and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Gently, peel the shell off hard-boiled eggs, rinse with water to ensure there is not residual shells. Roughly chopped hardboiled eggs and set aside.
- Next, to a large bowl add mashed avocado, mustard, mayonnaise, dried basil, chives, lemon juice, red onion, salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine.
- Lastly, add in the chopped hard boiled eggs. Stir until well combined.
- Serve in a pita pocket, over bread, or with a lettuce cup.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 249 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 249 mg
Keywords: egg & avocado salad, best egg salad recipe, healthy egg salad, how to make egg salad