Made with a crunchy maple almond crust and a smooth, tangy lemon curd filling, these Easy Lemon Bars are a vegan and gluten-free twist on the classic treat. Even if you don’t have a dietary restriction, this recipe will win over your heart as soon as you taste your first square.
For the Maple Almond Crust
- 2 cups fine unblanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Lemon Curd Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice, about 5 to 6 lemons
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk from the can
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- zest from 2 lemons (around 1 tablespoon)
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric (depending on how yellow you want it)
Prepare the Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8″x8″ pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix together almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and ground cinnamon. Mix until all the ingredients are combined and the mixture is somewhat sticky.
- Add almond crust mixture to the pan. Spread the mixture out evenly along the bottom. Pressing into the pan. (if the mixture sticks to your hands just add a little oil to your hands)
- Poke the crust with a fork all over the bottom. This will prevent the crust from bubbling up.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool.
Add the Filling & Bake
- In a small sauce, add lemon juice, sugar, coconut milk, cornstarch, lemon zest and turmeric. Whisk together until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Now, turn on the stove and heat the mixture over medium-high heat whisking frequently until sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens, between 7-10 minutes.
- Once the lemon filling is thick, pour the mixture over the prepared crust and gently smooth with a spatula until the filling is evenly spread across the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Remove and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature until settled. Place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Cut into bars and dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- Makes 12-16 bars.
- To Store: Refrigerate bars in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- To Freeze: Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Thaw in the fridge before enjoying.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 7 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: gluten free lemon bars, lemon squares, lemon bars easy