How to cook the Ultimate Cowboy Steak, also known as a bone-in Ribeye. This rich flavorful piece of steak doesn’t need much, just salt & pepper and a foolproof cooking method. You’re minutes away from perfect date night dinner.
- 1–2 lb. cowboy steak, bone-in (2″ thick cut)
- salt & pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
To Make Chimichurri Sauce:
- To a food processor add cilantro, garlic, red wine vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Pulse until cilantro is fined minced and mixture looks like a sauce. Set aside.
- Take cowboy steak out of refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Generously season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Place a large 10″ cast iron skillet in the oven. Heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and place on a burner set to HIGH heat. Immediately add cowboy steak to the pan.
- Sear for 2-3 minutes, until you have nice browning. Add butter and halved garlic heads (cut side down) to the pan. Flip the steak and sear on the other side for another 3 minutes.
- Immediately place skillet in the oven and cook (at 500°F) for 9 minutes. Flip the steaks and cook for another 4-5 minutes on the other side (for medium rare). The steaks should have internal temperature of 125°F. (this will be medium rare) If you like it more well done, cook it an additional minute for each temperature (1 minute for medium, 2 minutes for medium well, 3 minutes for well done)
- Let steaks rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with chimichurri sauce
Note about cut: If you want to showcase the bone, ask your butcher to give you a french cut.
Keywords: cowboy steak, cowboy steak recipe, how to cook a cowboy steak, cowboy ribeye steak, cowboy cut steak, what is cowboy steak, valentines steak dinner, date night dinner ideas, how to cook steak,