Gluten Free Turkey Bolognese Stuffed Peppers a simple dinner recipe filled with rich flavor your family will love. These Stuffed Peppers make the perfect comforting weeknight meal!
- 4 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoon parsley
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- salt to taste
- 28 oz. crushed tomato with basil
- 6 bell peppers assorted colors, tops cut off and seeds removed
- 6 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- To a large skillet add bacon. Saute until bacon is browned and crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon. Scoop the bacon out and place on a paper towel lined plate. Leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- To the pan, add diced onion. Saute until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next add in garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add in celery, red pepper and carrots. Saute 4-5 minutes. Stirring throughout.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan. Place in a medium bowl.
- Place skillet back on the burner and add ground turkey to the pan. Cook until the turkey is slightly browned, about 5-6 minutes. Make sure to break the turkey up so it is not clumped together.
- Add vegetables and bacon back to the pan. Stir and add in the red wine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the alcohol is cooked out.
- Then add in tomato paste, basil, parsley, oregano and salt to taste. Stir everything in until you can no longer see the tomato paste. Then add in the crushed tomatoes. Stir and bring to simmer.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes or until a majority of the liquid is evaporated. Stirring throughout.
- To an 8×8 baking dish add 6 whole peppers. Stuff each pepper with the turkey bolognese mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes, until the peppers are just starting to get tender.
- Remove from oven. Add 1 tablespoon of shredded mozzarella to each pepper. Place baking dish back in the oven and bake for 2-3 minutes. (until the cheese is melted)
- Garnish with chopped parsley. (optional)
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 582 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 70 mg
Keywords: gluten free recipes, dinner ideas, ground turkey, healthy comfort food, under 300 calories, low carb, stuffed peppers