An easy stuffed shells recipe with ground beef, spinach, and mushrooms then topped with a homemade marinara sauce – all for only 223 calories per serving!
- 30 large shells
- 1 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup of diced baby portabella mushrooms (about 3-4)
- 1 lb. of lean ground beef
- 3 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 cup of small curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
Tomato Basil Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of finely diced red onion
- 28 oz. can of Muir Glen Crushed tomato with basil
- 1/2 cup of chiffon fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a small saucepan to to medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil, 2 garlic cloves, and red onion to the pan. Saute until translucent – about 3-4 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes to saucepan and reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 10 minutes. To finish it off add basil at the end and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling season water with salt and add 30 large shells. Cook shells to al dente according to package directions. Remove shells from pot and place immediately in an ice bath to shock the pasta and stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In the meantime, heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil and 1 garlic clove. Saute for 30 seconds and add in diced portabella mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are just soft.
- Add in ground beef and cook until there is no more pink, about 5-6 minutes. Then add in spinach, cook until spinach is wilted.
- In a large bowl, add cottage cheese, egg, and ground beef mixture.
- In a 13×9 baking dish, add 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce on the bottom. Stuff shells with 2-3 tablespoons of filling and line up in baking dish until full.
- Top shells with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve
- Serving Size: 2.5 shells per person
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 163mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
Keywords: pasta dinner recipe, how to make stuffed shells, stuffed shells recipe, ground beef pasta recipe, best stuffed shells, mushroom pasta