- 1 lb. ritoni dreamfields pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 heaping cup fontiago cheese, shredded (could use fontina, gouda, or white cheddar)
- 2 teaspoon sriracha
- salt & pepper to taste
- garnish with diced fresh basil (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt butter.
- Whisk in arrowroot, continually stirring the entire time.
- Add onions, cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Whisk in chicken broth, milk, and sriracha continue to whisk until lumps are gone. Raise to medium high heat, and cook for 10-12 minutes whisking on occasion. Sauce will start to thicken.
- Meanwhile add in pasta and cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Remove milk mixture from heat, add in shredded fontina cheese, salt, and pepper. Whisk until cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over the pasta, toss to combine.
- Garnish with extra cracked pepper and/or fresh basil.
To make this dish vegetarian just sub the chicken stock for vegetable stock
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 365 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg