This Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake recipe makes a moist Fall inspired cake that’s as elegant as it is delicious. You’ll love this fluffy vanilla cake filled with pears and topped with a crunchy brown sugar topping.
- 2 bosc pears, 1/4″ slices
- 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- a pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend
- 3 Medium size Eggs
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9″ round cake pan by spraying with cooking spray on bottom on sides (you could also use butter).
- Arrange pear slices on the bottom of the pan.
- To a small sauce pan over medium heat, add SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, water, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and a pinch of salt. Cook on medium heat, whisking the entire time until the sauce begins to thicken and sugar is dissolved. About 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce of the pears. Being careful not to mess up the arrangement.
- For the Cake: add flour, baking powder and salt to a small bowl. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add SPLENDA® Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend, eggs, yogurt and vanilla. Using a whisk, stir together until the mixture is smooth and lumps are removed.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet mixture, whisking the whole time.
- Lastly add the oil to the bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the cake batter over the pear and sugar sauce, again being careful not to disturb the arrangement.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes or until it passes the “toothpick test.”
- Remove cake from oven and place pan on a wire cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Place serving platter on top of the cake pan, say a little prayer and then flip the cake so the caramelized pears are on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cake Recipe adapted from Monsoon Spice
- Serving Size: 1 slice (based on 18 slice cut)
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 25 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg
Keywords: pear cake recipe, upside down pear cake recipe, baking with splenda, healthy cake recipe, pear dessert idea, how to make an upside down cake