Grilled Portobello Burgers with a zesty Avocado Chimichurri is one perfect way to amp up Meatless Monday. This easy 30 minute burger will be a hit this summer!
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ciabatta buns, halved
- 1 red pepper, whole
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2” slices
- 1 cup spinach
- salt to season
- 2 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, about 375-400 degrees F.
- Scoop out insides of portobello mushrooms and remove the stem. (I like to use a spoon to scoop the insides out, it’s easier)
- Drizzle olive oil over the portobello mushrooms and red pepper. Season with salt.
- Spray grill grates with cooking spray or rub down with olive oil soaked rag.
- Place portobello mushrooms, whole red pepper and onion slices on grill.
- Grill portobello mushrooms for 4-5 minutes per side, the red pepper for 5-6 minutes per side and the onion slices for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from grill and let rest.
- When red pepper has cooled down, slice it.
- Grill the inside of the ciabatta roll halves for 2 minutes, just to slightly toast them.
- In a small bowl add, avocado, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Mash together.
- Assemble burgers. To each ciabatta roll add 2 tablespoons of avocado chimichurri, 1/4 cup spinach, portobello burger, red pepper, and red onion.
- Serving Size: 1 portobello burger
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 282 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: burger, sandwiches, vegetarian, 30 minute meal, portobello burger recipe, how to cook portobello mushrooms, homemade veggie burger recipe