A comforting chicken orzo soup packed with nutritious vegetables, protein, and a fresh lemony broth!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 leeks, halved and sliced (soaked in water to remove the sand/grit)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. carrots, sliced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 7 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 tablespooons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- salt to season
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and chicken cubes. Saute until chicken is cooked through, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add leeks, garlic, and carrots. Stir ingredients and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add lemon juice, lemon zest, and chicken broth. Bring to a slow simmer.
- Add in orzo, thyme, rosemary, and salt to season. Cook pasta for 8 minutes. Add in kale and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove soup from heat and serve!
- Optional: garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 220 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Cholesterol: 62 mg
Keywords: lemon chicken orzo soup, soup chicken noodle, homemade chicken noodle soup