This juicy lemon chicken in a buttery garlic sauce will be your new favorite way to cook chicken. It’s herby, garlicky, spicy, and zesty!
For the chicken:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt & pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons of butter, unsalted
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prep the chicken. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add in avocado and chicken breast. Saute for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan when the internal temperature has reached 165°F and put on a plate to rest.
- Melt the butter. While the chicken is resting, add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan along with shallots and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Cook the flour. Add in flour, whisk into the butter shallot mixture for 1 minute until flour slightly browned.
- Pour in the broth. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking the entire time until the lumps are gone.
- Season it. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. then add in lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and last 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk together and keep at a slow simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring throughout.
- Return the chicken. Add chicken back into the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve. Garnish with lemon slices and chopped parsley.
Keywords: lemon chicken, lemon butter chicken, lemon butter sauce for chicken, lemon garlic butter chicken