This Healthy One Pot Mexican Quinoa Casserole is light, easy to make, and packed with nutrients and flavor! Everything is made in a single pan, and it’s only 290 calories a serving!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 mini assorted color sweet red peppers, sliced
- 2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilis
- 14 oz can low sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced roma tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded colby cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add olive oil to pan as well as diced chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, turning throughout. About 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan and put on plate. Set aside.
- Add onions to pan. Saute until translucent, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic, saute for 30 seconds and immediately add in mini peppers. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in green chilis, pinto beans, chicken broth, roma tomatoes, quinoa, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, ground pepper, and cilantro to the pan.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken in, stir, cover, and reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until liquid is evaporated and quinoa is cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese to the top. Place cover on and let sit for 1 minute until cheese it melted.
- Serve with fresh avocado, green onions, and fresh cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 595 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 45 mg
Keywords: quinoa casserole, mexican quinoa, mexican casserole recipe, mexican casserole, easy mexican casserole, healthy quinoa recipe, healthy casserole recipe, healthy mexican casserole