Need a healthy and refreshing appetizer recipe with a nutty kick? These Fresh Summer Rolls are filled with crisp veggies, wrapped in rice paper and dipped in a spicy homemade peanut sauce!
For the Pickled Carrots
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Summer Rolls
- 8–10 rice paper
- 1 cup julienned cucumber
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 8–10 basil leaves
- 1 cup julienned red pepper
- 1 cup julienned yellow pepper
- 8–10 green leaf lettuce leaves
For the Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, diced
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Pickled Carrots:
- Add carrots, rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt to a medium bowl. Toss to coat the carrots and let marinate for 15 minutes.
For the Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- Add peanut butter, tamari sauce, fresh cilantro, honey, lime juice, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Whisk together until combined. Set aside.
- Fill a shallow at least 9″ round pan with 1 inch of warm water.
- Soak a single rice paper in warm water for 10-15 seconds. Place single rice paper on a wet working space (cutting board).
- On the bottom 1/3 of the rice paper (the side closest to you) place a few cilantro leaves, 1 green leaf lettuce, 2-3 red pepper, 2-3 yellow pepper, 3-4 cucumber slices, 4-5 carrot slices, a handful of purple cabbage and 1 basil leaf.
- Bring the bottom edge of the rice paper up over the filling and gently pull the filing in. Fold in the sides and continue rolling away from you like you would a burrito until everything is sealed.
- Continue with remaining rice paper and vegetables.
- Serve immediately with peanut sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 49
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 131 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: summer rolls, rice paper rolls, spring rolls, spicy peanut sauce, peanut sauce, veggie rolls, summer roll recipe, how to make summer rolls, how to make spring rolls