Cozy up with this ultra-flavorful stew made with wine-braised chicken, pancetta, onions, carrots, mushrooms and more! Coq Au Vin is classic French comfort food, and this recipe makes it easier than ever.
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 (750ml) bottle of pinot noir
- 7–8 sprigs of thyme
- 14 oz. bag of frozen pearl onions
- 4 oz. pancetta
- 4 large carrots, cut in into 1” pieces
- 14 oz. button mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons of 1:1 gluten free baking flour
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- salt and pepper
- Marinate Chicken: To a large bowl add chicken thighs and drumsticks along with pearl onions and thyme. Pour wine over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove Chicken from Marinade: Place on a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Generously season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Strain Liquid: Using a slotted spoon, remove pearl onions and herbs from the wine and place them in a bowl to use later.
- Reduce Wine: Add wine to a small saucepan and reduce down over medium-high heat. Discard any solids that have floated to the top.
- Cook Pancetta: Heat a large dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add pancetta and brown, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Sear Chicken: Immediately add chicken thighs into pancetta grease, skin side down. Sear for 3-4 minutes per side, until browned. Remove from the pan and place on a plate to use later. Next, add chicken drumsticks to the pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and let rest with the other chicken.
- Cook Carrots: Immediately add carrots to the dutch oven. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until slightly browned. Remove from pan and place in a bowl.
- Brown Mushrooms: Next, add mushrooms and saute for 4-5 minutes until browned, stirring throughout. Remove from pan and place in a bowl with carrots.
- Sear Onions: Add pearl onions to the dutch oven, cook until slightly browned around 2-3 minutes.
- Add Butter & Garlic: Now, add butter and garlic to the pan. Saute for 1 minute, stirring throughout.
- Make Roux: Immediately add in flour and stir until mixture thickens and creates a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring the entire time.
- Add Liquids: Slowly add in chicken bone broth, stirring the entire time to ensure no lumps form. Repeat process with the reduced wine.
- Return Everything to Pot: Add pancetta, carrots, mushrooms and thyme back to the pan. Give it a quick stir and taste. Add more salt if needed. Now add the chicken back into the pan and cover.
- Roast in Oven: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place dutch oven in the oven and cook for 45 minutes until chicken reaches 165°F. Remove from oven.
- Season to Taste: Give the sauce a quick taste. Add more salt as needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower or parsnip puree.
- Recipe slightly adapted from Recipe Tin Eats.
- To Store & Reheat: Store cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat over a low-heat stove until warmed through, stirring occasionally. Reheat individual portions in the microwave.
- To Freeze: Pour cooled stew into a freezer bag, squeeze out air, then lay bag down flat in freezer. Alternatively, store in a freezer-safe container. Leave extra room to allow liquid to expand as it freezes. Enjoy within 3 months and thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Keywords: stew with chicken, braised chicken, chicken french