An easy Classic Caesar Salad served with homemade garlicky croutons and homemade dressing (anchovy free). The ultimate light & fresh side dish made from scratch in 20 minutes with fresh romaine, parmesan cheese, crunchy croutons and a creamy caesar dressing!
For the Garlic Croutons
- 3 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
For the Caesar Dressing
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- a few dashes of tabasco, to taste
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/2 tablespoon mayo
For the Caesar Salad
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
Make the Croutons
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To a large bowl add cubed sourdough bread, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 minced garlic cloves. Toss to coat.
- Spread bread cubed out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Remove croutons from oven. Season with salt, pepper and fresh parsley.
- Set aside.
Make the Dressing
- To a food process (or blender) add garlic, white vinegar, mustard, tabasco, juice of half a lemon, honey and mayo. Blend until garlic is minced.
- Next, add olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese. Blend until everything is combined. Set aside.
Assemble the Salad
- To a large bowl add, chopped romaine lettuce, shaved parmesan, grated parmesan, homemade croutons and drizzle with dressing or serve on the side.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
- To Make Ahead: Prepare the dressing and refrigerate it in an airtight jar or container. Store the cooled croutons in an airtight container or storage bag at room temperature. Both will last for up to 1 week, but the croutons may start to lose their crunch after a couple of days.
- To Store: If you think you may have leftovers, serve the dressing on the side. When ready to store, separate the croutons from the salad and store the dressing, croutons and salad in separate airtight containers. Refrigerate the dressing and salad, but leave the croutons on the counter. While the salad should be eaten within 2 days, the dressing and croutons will stay good for up to 1 week.
Keywords: caesar salad with dressing, how to make caesar salad, croutons in salad