This Cheesy Scalloped Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe is a fun twist on the classic sweet potato side dish! Way healthier than sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows, this easy casserole is a huge hit!
- 6–7 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/3” slices
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 13×9″ baking dish with Cooking Spray. Set aside.
- Using a mandoline, slice sweet potatoes to 1/3″ thick. (if you do not have a mandoline, use a very sharp knife to slice)
- Add half the sweet potatoes to the greased baking dish.
- In the meantime, heat a small sauce pan to medium high heat. Add butter and shallots to pan. Saute until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Next add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add in the heavy cream, milk, fresh thyme, fresh tarragon, and sea salt and stir. Bring a boil and then remove from heat.
- Pour half the milk mixture over the sweet potatoes. Top with half the gruyere cheese.
- Add another layer of the remaining sweet potatoes, top with remaining milk mixture and cheese.
- Cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil and bake an additional 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Optional: top with a garnish of fresh thyme
Recipe inspired by The Iron You
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 216 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
Keywords: sweet potato casserole recipe, easy sweet potato casserole, best sweet potato casserole, healthy sweet potato casserole, sweet potato side dish, how to make sweet potato casserole