One of our favorite steak salads to make! Tender flank steak seared on the grill and served on a bed of lettuce with grilled onions, asparagus, creamy avocado and cherry tomatoes then drizzled with a tangy chimichurri dressing. This 30 Minute California Steak Salad is dinner must make!
For the Steak Salad
- 1.25lb flank steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to season
- 8 oz. spring mix
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1″ rings (keep them together you’re going to grill them)
- 1lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pint of assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
For the Chimichurri Dressing
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat, approximately 350-400°F.
- Season asparagus and onion slices with olive oil and salt.
- Place asparagus and onion rings on the grill. Grill the asparagus for 4-5 minutes and remove, turning throughout. Grill the onion rings for 3-4 minutes per side until char marks appear. Remove and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive to flank steak, rub into both sides. Season both sides with salt & pepper.
- Place flank steak on the grill. Grill each side for 3-5 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. (make sure you slice it against the grain)
- While the steak is resting make the chimichurri dressing. Add the following to a small food processor: a garlic clove, fresh cilantro, red wine vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper. Blend until smooth and looks like a dressing.
- Assemble the salad, add fresh lettuce, grilled red onion slices, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, sliced avocado, and sliced flank steak to a large serving platter. Serve with Chimichurri Dressing on the side! Garnish with a lime.
- To Store: Keep steak, salad veggies and dressing in separate airtight containers in the fridge. Steak will stay good for up to 3 days, chimichurri will last for up to 5, and veggies should stay fresh for a day or two.
- To Reheat: Leftover steak salad is safe to eat cold, but you can warm up the meat if you’d like. Heat a lightly greased skillet to medium heat and add steak once pan is hot. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until warmed through.
- Serving Size: 2 cups + dressing
- Calories: 452
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 345 mg
- Fat: 32 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Cholesterol: 94 mg
Keywords: grilled flank steak, steak with salad, salad ideas for dinner