- 4 strips of applewood smoked bacon, diced
- 1/2 lb. jumbo shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- juice of half a lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon diced fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup quick cooking grits
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup grated smoked gouda cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to season
- Heat a medium skillet to medium high heat. Add diced bacon and cook until crispy, about 4-6 minutes. Remove and place bacon on a paper towel lined plated. Set aside.
- To make the cajun shrimp: add smoked paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and chipotle chili powder to a medium bowl. Mix and add shrimp to the bowl with the spice mixture, toss to coat the shrimp in the mixture.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium high heat. Add butter to the skillet, once melted add seasoned shrimp. Make sure the shrimp is in a single layer in the skillet. Saute shrimp on one side for 2-3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Add lemon juice, fresh thyme, roasted red pepper, and bacon. Saute for 30 seconds, sitr and remove from heat.
- To make the Smoked Gouda Grits: add water to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let cook for 5-7 minutes stirring throughout until the grits are thick. Add in the cheese, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and salt to taste. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted.
- Evenly divide grits and shrimp mixture among 4 dishes. Serve.