The Best Ever Cornbread Sausage Stuffing has a sweet and savory blend of cornbread, Italian sausage, sautéed vegetables, cranberries and herbs, all baked to golden brown deliciousness. It’s the perfect healthy side dish this holiday season!
- 1 lb. honey cornbread, crumbled
- 1 lb. sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dry sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using your hands crumble cornbread into irregular size pieces (large, medium and bite size). Spread out on 13×9 baking sheet. Bake cornbread crumbles for 8-10 minutes, tosses halfway through.
- Remove cornbread and let sit.
- In the meantime, heat a medium skillet to medium high heat. Add ground sausage to the pan and cook until slightly browned, approximately 5-7, chopping up sausage into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Once browned, remove the sausage from the pan and let rest. Then immediately add 2 tablespoons of butter, diced onion, diced celery and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Then add in dry sage, dry thyme and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat then remove from heat.
- To a small bowl add vegetable broth and 1 egg. Whisk until egg is scrambled.
- To a large bowl add browned crumbled cornbread, sausage, celery onion mixture and cranberries. Pour vegetable broth over the top and toss to coat. Mix everything together.
- Add cornbread stuffing mixture to a 13×9 baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes until slightly browned and serve.
Keywords: sausage stuffing, sausage stuffing recipe, cornbread stuffing, cornbread stuffing recipe, how to make sausage stuffing, cornbread sausage stuffing, sage sausage stuffing, italian sausage stuffing, how to make cornbread stuffing