Change up your salad game with this Tropical Coconut Chicken Salad filled with fresh exotic fruits and homemade Almond-Coconut Crusted Chicken Tenders. It’s a swoon worthy salad that’ll take you to the beach and you’ll want to repeat all week!
I don’t know if it’s the cold weather or watching too much HGTV’s Island Life show. But lately I have been dreaming of clear blue ocean waves crashing up against white sandy beaches.
Our last “beach trip” was in June of last year and I’m getting the urge to head out again this year. This year Mike and I celebrate our 10 year anniversary so I’m trying to work my magic and convince him that we need to go to Bora Bora, Fiji, the Bahamas… basically anywhere with a gorgeous beach. I am open to recommendations so if you have any suggestions let me know!
In the mean time, while I’m still here in cooler weather (I don’t think I can say “cold” because it’s low 40’s) I thought I would find a way to appease my beach fever.
This Tropical Coconut Chicken Salad did just the trick!
It’s filled with fresh exotic fruits, sweet bell peppers, creamy avocado, warm homemade Almond-Coconut Crusted Chicken Tenders and then topped with a sweet tangy Honey Dijon Dressing that only has 2 ingredients!
Definitely something your family will swoon over after the first bite!
Best of all, while making this recipe I think I finally perfected my chicken tender making skills. Woot Woot!
So many times I would end up with chicken tenders that didn’t have the nice crust on the outside. I would dunk my chicken in an egg wash and then in the crispy toppings, but it would never fully stick to the chicken. Once I baked the chicken the crispy exterior would just fall right off. Super annoying!
Not any more and I am so pumped! So get ready for more chicken tender recipes in the future!
In the meantime take advantage of this delicious, easy, gluten free, only 30 minute meal!
I know right… that’s a lot of adjectives for one meal and all of them are things you want to see in a meal you’re gonna make. Or at least they are for me!
So, give yourself a break for dinner this week. Make an easy meal your family is gonna love and that will … just for one night .. take you to the tropics and back!
Bon Appetite my friends!Print
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 heads of green leaf lettuce, diced
- 1 mango
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 mini red peppers, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Honey Dijon Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 4 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400.
- To make the Coconut Crusted Chicken: Add raw almonds and coconut flakes to a food processor, blend into small rice like pieces. Place in a small bowl. In another bowl add the white whole wheat flour, set aside. In last bowl add 1 whole egg, 1 egg white, and lime zest. Whisk until eggs are scrambled.
- First cover the chicken tenders with the flour, then dunk in the egg mixture, lastly add to the almond coconut mixture. Be sure to press the almond mixture into the tenders using your fingers. Place chicken tenders on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- To make the Honey Dijon Dressing: add honey and dijon mustard to a small bowl. Using a whisk stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad: Evenly distribute the following ingredients among four bowl (or add to one large salad bowl) green leaf lettuce, mango, pineapple, avocado, mini red peppers, green onions, coconut crusted chicken tenders, and fresh cilantro. Top with honey dijon dressing.
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 470
- Sugar: 31 g
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 92 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!