Light & Easy Potato Salad with a Creamy Mustard Sauce using greek yogurt. Filled with bacon goodness, fresh chives, and hardboiled eggs – a low calorie dish with the same great taste!
Can I just say I’m so not a fan of writing posts in advance! I mean on one hand its great because it relieves a little stress from the equation of having to get this post done “tonight” because it has to go live the next day. But it’s hard to write about something you haven’t experienced yet or just to talk about the food.
Cuz lets be honest, no one wants to read why you should make said recipe for 400 characters. There is only so many times you can say “this is awesome you need to make it.”
I officially got back from St. Lucia on Monday and I’ve had a couple of posts pre-scheduled so I could enjoy my vacation. I didn’t want to have the stress of getting todays post up as soon as I got back so another pre-scheduled is coming at ya!
But … you will hear all about my incredible experience in St. Lucia soon enough peeps, so get ready! That’s coming next week and I seriously cannot wait to share it! (warning you may be scheduling your own vacation soon)
Ok, on to the recipe for today! The days of potato salad that are drenched in mayo are long gone. A new era has arrived! The era of greek yogurt and mustard!
One of my favorite side dishes to have at a summer BBQ is potato salad. There is something so comforting about it. It brings me right back to my childhood days of mom’s grilled baby back ribs slathered in bbq sauce, grilled sweet corn on the cob, patriotic popsicles, and running all over the cup de sac in our swimsuits!
Those kind of recipes are classic, the kind when as soon as you dive in to take a bite memories start to come to mind. They will never go out of style. they might take on new tastes and looks but will always have the same classic base.
In this Easy Potato Salad I kept the same base ingredients my mom always used, a mustard base with red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and bacon! Then I added in a little bit of greek yogurt instead of mayo to save on the calories as well as fresh thyme and lemon juice for some flavor then evened out the tangy taste by adding a little honey. The Creamy Mustard will blow your mind. What I love about this salad is the sauce is the star of the show but its not drowning the potatoes, it just lighting coats to give you the taste you love! You can taste every ingredient because the sauce does not take over.
This recipe makes a huge portion so you could totally cut it in half if you’re serving it to just family but I think a recipe like this is meant to be eaten with a large group of family and friends gathered round! I hope you enjoy it!
Hugs to you sweet friends, its so good to be back!Print
- 4-5 lbs of red potatoes, cut into 1/4″ thick cubes
- 7 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 5 strips of bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup of chives, diced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme, diced
- 1 cup of stone ground mustard
- 1/3 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a skillet to medium high heat, add diced bacon and cook until crispy. About 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bacon from pan and place on a place with paper towel to soak up the grease. Set aside.
- Place red potatoes in a large pot, completely cover potatoes with water. Place on medium high burner, bring to a boil.
- Let potatoes cook for 10-15 minutes, until fork tender. (meaning you can poke potatoes with a fork and they are tender)
- Drain potatoes and let sit.
- In the meantime, to a small bowl add mustard, greek yogurt, lemon juice, thyme, honey, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Add potatoes to a large bowl along with hard boiled eggs, bacon, chives, and creamy thyme mustard sauce.
- Gently toss potato salad until everything is coated with sauce.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 279 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 54 mg
IF YOU MAKE ONE OF THESE BURGER RECIPES, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT#JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!