Crock Pot Pork Carnitas Tacos – the easiest pork carnitas you’ll ever make with the BEST flavor from a secret ingredient. Then these tacos are topped with a creamy Cilantro Lime Avocado Crema for the ultimate bite!
“When silence is God’s answer to you. Your heart is His target.”
The past two months, I have never felt so alive.
The church we’ve been serving at has been absolutely incredible! It has opened up a side of us, or at least me, that I didn’t know was there. I knew I loved serving and helping people feel welcome but joining with a team of other people who feel the same way and who are just as hungry for community as we are is life changing. I could seriously cry just thinking about it. Oh wait.. I’ve been doing that for the past 8 weeks during service.
Even as all this incredible stuff is going on I still have a place in my heart that hurts. It only comes out on occasion but it comes out none the less. I feel like the past two weeks I have been crying all the time, my emotions are all over the place. But in the midst of that I still feel like I can hear God’s quite voice.
How do I know it’s God’s voice and not my own?
Well, my voice is going to say things that are hurtful, not uplifting, it will bring up things I’ve done wrong in the past, or past hurts. It tells me to live in fear, to protect myself, to be cautious. God’s voice does none of those things.
God’s voice tells me that I’m beautiful. It gives me hope when things seem hopeless. It gives me comfort when life seems to be falling down in ruins around me. It tells me that I am much loved, that I am the jewel of his heart.
In fact, most of the time when God gives me a picture it is usually of a little girl and her daddy. Sometimes it’s of them playing out in a field of flowers and other times its of the little girl nuzzled in her daddy’s embrace.
But yesterday was something different. I feel like my heart is raw after three years of trying to have a baby. I know he has promised me that I am going to have one and he has even given pictures to friends confirming that. But at times it is still hard to believe and “keep the faith” when you read the words “not pregnant.”
Yesterday morning I went into church service raw, towards the end of service we started singing and all I could do was cry. As I sat there, bent over with my head in my hands I felt like God said, “Wait on me.”
This process and the silence of “not getting what I want” in the time I want has taught me to let go and wait on him. I don’t know why he’s not giving us a baby. But I know that he is good and I know that he is faithful. So I place my trust in him despite what it may look like to other people or even how many odds may be stacked up against us. He is the father of life and can breathe that life into me at any time. But right now, he is after my heart and I’m ok with that! 🙂
Just a few thoughts that were on my mind and an experience I wanted to share.
Something else I NEED to share with you are these Crock Pot Pork Carnitas Tacos.
Ya’ll if heaven has food, it’s gonna taste like these tacos! The pork itself is incredibly moist from cooking all day in the crock pot. But what makes this pork shine is crisping it up in the broiler. After you shred the pork, spread it out on a baking sheet then put it under the broiler on HIGH for 5-10 minutes. Basically until you start seeing the tips getting browned and crispy. Then throw it back into half the cooking liquid to moisten it up again.
HOLY Hannah will you be in love with the flavor!
You don’t need much to jazz these tacos up. All I did was add fresh Pineapple for a little sweetness, tangy homemade Pickled Onions, crumbled Queso Fresco, and then a zesty cilantro lime Avocado Crema.
DELISH! This is perfect for a Cinco de Mayo party because it makes 25-30 tacos, definitely a meal fit for a crowd! And the best part is most of the heavy work is done by your Crock Pot! (woot woot … ensue Fiesta Dance)
I guarantee you can’t beat the ease of making this dish and the flavor will rock your socks off! Bon Appetit sweet friends and Happy Monday!
- 3-4 lbs. pork loin, fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large chipotle pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bottle of beer
- 2 avocados
- garlic clove
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 25-30 tortillas
- crumbled queso fresco
- pickled onions
- diced pineapple (or you could use mango)
- sliced jalapenos
- In a small dish add sea salt, black pepper, ground cumin, smoked paprika, oregano.
- Rub the pork loin with the spice rub.
- Place the pork loin on the bottom of the crock pot. Add the chopped onion, garlic cloves, chipotle pepper, lime juice, lemon juice, and a bottle of beer.
- Cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the crock pot, still leaving the juices in the pot and cooking on HIGH.
- Using two forks, shred the pork and spread it out on baking sheet. (you may need 2 depending on how much meat you have)
- Turn the broiler on HIGH, place baking sheets under the broiler for 5-10 minutes. Or until pork gets browned and crispy.
- Then add pork back into the juices in the crock pot. Turn off and set aside.
- To a food processor add: avocados, garlic clove, lime juice, fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix until they are smooth.
- Assemble Tacos: to a tortilla add pork, diced pineapple, queso fresco, and avocado crema. Serve
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!