Easy naturally Gluten Free Roasted Cauliflower Steaks topped with fresh zesty Chimichurri Sauce at only 106 calories. Who knew Cauliflower could taste so good! This recipe is down right addicting!
Have you tried Cauliflower Steaks before? I know I know… kinda confusing. How can Cauliflower be a Steak? Well, if you slice it a certain way it kinda looks like steak … shape wise. It’s basically like a vegetarians way of having “steak” without the actual meat. Sneaky right?
At first I was skeptical. I like my meat … and nothing compares to a big juicy ribeye.
Then I went to Girl and the Goat Restaurant in Chicago and tried Chef Steph’s Roasted Cauliflower Steaks topped with pickled peppers, pine nuts and mint.
OMG!!! The pickled peppers combined with the sweet roasted cauliflower was incredible! And honestly, I didn’t even miss my steak. In fact, I probably could have downed the entire plate myself.
So I was trying to think of a way to combine this new found love of roasted cauliflower with my favorite way to eat steak.
Ahem… my favorite way to eat steak … Grilled Flank Steak with Avocado Chimichurri! If you haven’t tried this one yet I HIGHLY recommend it. Flank steak is an affordable piece of meat that goes a long way and the avocado chimichurri totally makes this dish shine!
So … as you can see by the title the Chimichurri was the inspiration for todays recipe. It’s an Argentinian sauce that is served on the side with most poultry, meat, and fish in Latin American. Not only is Chimichurri super easy to make, but it uses all fresh ingredients, naturally gluten free AND it brings a pop of flavor to anything that it’s served with.
Just a warning, once you try the Chimichurri you won’t be able to stop eating it. You will want to put it on any and everything in sight … bread, eggs, veggies.
The trick to making sure you get a good slice of cauliflower for the steaks is picking the right head of cauliflower in the grocery store. Pick a head that has the florets tight and close together. If you do that, you will get big nice pretty cauliflower steaks. Once these bad boys are covered in olive oil and roasted; like any other vegetable the natural sweetness comes out and turns into vegetable candy. (yes there is such a thing) But then I went ahead a topped it with fresh zesty slighty spicy chimichurri.
I guarantee these Roasted Cauliflower Steaks will be a favorite at your house. And if you have extra shavings from the cauliflower leftover, don’t through those scraps out… make some Cauliflower Pizza Crust out of them! Also a game changing recipe that you’ll love.
Bon Appetite my friends!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- juice of one lime
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 420.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To prepare the cauliflower: Gently cut the stem and leaves of the head of cauliflower, remove. Be careful to still keep the cauliflower in tact. Cut the cauliflower in half, and then in half again so you have four even pieces about 1-1½" thick. If you'd like to shave the edge of the rounded piece so it is flat, do so. Place cauliflower steaks on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle both sides of cauliflower with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, using your hands rub the olive oil in. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Using a spatula, gently flip the steak over. Roast an additional 15-20 minutes. Steaks should be somewhat tender and slightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- To make the chimichurri sauce: add garlic clove to a food processor, blend until garlic is minced. Add in red pepper flakes, cilantro, oregano, lime juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Blend until it cilantro is finely chopped and mixture looks like a sauce/paste, about 1 minute.
- Serve cauliflower steaks with chimichurri sauce.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!