Get game day ready with these healthier low calorie Grilled Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps! All the same great flavor with half the calories!
Football season is right around the corner and I seriously cannot wait!
We don’t watch a whole lot of college football, but I can appreciate it. I do think it is way more exciting to watch than NFL games and sometimes it makes me wish I was back in college again. hehe (maybe that’s why I don’t watch it, it makes me realize how old I’m getting … tear)
Next weekend I have the draft for the All Women’s Fantasy Football League I’m in and I need to get in the spirit. I admit, normally I will do my research for a week before the draft and have all my players picked out. I usually get the players I want during the draft, but as soon as the season starts they all get injured and I’m screwed for the rest of the year!
Have I told you I’m an extremely competitive person! 🙂
Sooo… my strategy this year is to go with the ESPN picks instead of trying to out smart ESPN with my amazing picks that turn into flops! This year… I WILL win!
(enter Krista’s fight song)
Mike cracks up at me during fantasy football season because I get so into it. We have NFL Sunday Ticket and many times I will tell him to switch it to a particular game because I have a player playing that I want to watch. He just looks over at me, smiles and switches.
I know secretly he loves it! hehe
So with all the football talk I figured it was time to whip out a few game day appetizers! Cuz let’s be honest, game day food just makes everyone happy, especially when paired with an ice cold beer! 🙂
Todays recipe is my healthy take on the classic Buffalo Chicken recipes out there – enter the Grilled Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps. This recipe has all the great buffalo chicken flavor you love but with half the calories.
Warning: Make sure you have a napkin by your side with this one. It is a hot mess to eat, but the flavor can’t be beat. You will keep going up for seconds, thirds, and fourths!
The grill flavor on the buffalo sauce soaked chicken combined with the creamy avocado, sweet tomatoes and the classic ranch flavor is amazing. Now, I know that half way into football season some of you might be covered in 12″ of snow and can’t get to your grills. Never fear, this recipe can easily be adapted. Just throw the marinated chicken in a skillet and cook it up. Easy peasy!
It is light on your tummy but definitely a game day treat that you will want to repeat. We’ve even had this for dinner before! Ah-mazing!
PS it’s 53 calories a cup! Woohoo! Bon Appetite!
- 3 large skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into ½" cubes
- ¾ cup franks red hot sauce
- 15-20 butter lettuce cups
- ¾ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- Add cubed chicken and ½ cup franks red hot sauce to a bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Place grill basket directly on grill. Add marinated chicken to grill basket and grill chicken for 8-10 minutes, stirring throughout. (if you don't have a grill basket, add cubed chicken to a kabob stick)
- Remove from grill and place grilled chicken in a bowl, toss with ¼ cup of buffalo sauce.
- Assemble lettuce cups: place butter lettuce cups, 2-3 cubes of chicken, 2-3 diced tomatoes, 2-3 diced avocado, a pinch of green onions, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Game Day Recipes?