One Pot Mexican Shakshuka done in 30 minutes. The ultimate easy comfort dinner recipe!
One Pot Mexican Shakshuka an easy dinner recipe made in 30 minutes only 206 calories a serving. Eggs baked in a spicy mexican inspired tomato sauce – it’s egg-cellent!
Ok. So I know. Shakshuka. It sounds like a big word and looks a little fancy… or what in the world am I getting myself into.
And if I’m being honest I really had to figure out how to say it.
It’s pronounced shak-s-hu-ka. (shuck-shoe-ka)
Now that we can all say it, let me tell you what it is!
It’s a middle eastern inspired dish and it is pretty much a staple in most households. In fact, it ranks pretty high up there with hummus and flatbreads. Based on the picture I know you can see that there are eggs in it. And that is base of the recipe. Shakshuka is basically eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce.. and it’s flippin delicious!
True confession. I’ve never made or even eaten Shakshuka before, but after seeing so many pictures online I needed to change that asap!!
Of course I had to put my southwestern touch on it. So this Shakshuka has a base of fire roasted tomatoes, bell peppers, poblano peppers, cumin, and smoked paprika. The tomato mixture sits and simmers for a bit to get all the flavors nice and familiar with each other.
Then I made 6 different small “holes” in the tomato sauce using a spatula and gently added my eggs to the holes then threw the skillet in the oven to cook the eggs.
The trick is cooking it just until the egg whites set, if you cook it longer the yolks will be hard. And let’s be honest, no body likes a hard yolk!
You can serve this dish plain, with a toasted baguette or flatbread or even brown rice if you want to stay gluten free.
It’s absolutely delicious!
My 5 year devoured it, as in there was none left and he almost licked his plate. And honestly, I can’t blame him because I almost did the same thing!
Not only does this dish look insanely good (which ahem, it is). It takes 30 minutes to make and is only 206 calories a serving! It is also gluten free and vegetarian.
Serve this for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
But just serve it. Mmmmkay!
Bon Appetit ya’ll!
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 oz) cans of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup crumbled queso fresco
- ¼ cup diced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- garnish: sliced avocado. sliced jalapeno
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 10" cast iron skillet to medium high heat, add grape seed oil.
- Next add onion to the pan. Cook gently until soft about 3 minutes. Then add garlic, poblano pepper, red pepper, and yellow pepper. Cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Then add in the smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to cominbe.
- Then add the diced tomatoes. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes in different spots around the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Immediately add the skillet to oven (uncovered) and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, queso fresco, and green onion.
- Optional garnish: sliced avocado, lime wedges, and sliced jalapeno.
- (you could serve with sliced baguette bread)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Egg-cellent Recipes?
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->